Monday, March 1, 2010

ShopWrong Adventure






The first thing that came to mind for this project almost immediately was to go to the park in the city and get some serious blues jams in with the old guitarists that hang out and play there. I decided to call up my crew and plan it out, but when the time came the weather had proven to be a huge deterrent. After deciding it was the wrong season to lug instruments around in the city I realized that I needed to do something more practical and not as time consuming mainly because I knew I had to work double shifts all weekend. Anyway after realizing that the only time I could fit this in would be early in the morning, I had to find somewhere that is filled with people at all times of the day. I was stumped for a minute as to what I could even do this early to create a distraction but eventually I came to the conclusion that I could walk around the super market asking ladies if they needed help grabbing groceries and such. I figure I wouldn't be too much of a pest at such an early hour if I was doing a good deed. I honestly could not believe how unreceptive some people are in general. Not only was this an interesting project in terms of creating a distraction, but it reminded me of how close minded, mundane, and unreceptive people can be to anything out of the ordinary. I swear to god people were staring at me like I was a criminal because I had a digital camera and wanted to talk to people. I honestly could tell people were trying to avoid me because they didnt want to be bothered or probably were too awkward and thought I was nuts. One lady told me I was crazy, another told me I was a nut for taking a picture of the sushi lady (the sushi lady was so happy that she had just made fresh sushi, all she wanted to do was tell me about it and i had to take a picture because I thoroughly enjoyed her enthusiasm and passion). They tried kicking me out of the store toward the end and kept telling me to put the camera away, but despite the employee's efforts I continued my mission and accomplished what I came for. Even though most people looked at me like I was nuts and were very unresponsive, I happened to find a few jems in the sea of shoppers. I really had a great time with a few of these ladies. I literally went down their entire lists while running around the store getting them whatever they needed. The ladies who were open to the idea couldn't have been more grateful. It was a really interesting experience. Anyway, I don't know how to add the photos yet, but I will show a few in class today and as soon as someone helps me with the pictures today in class I will put them up on my next post and add some thorough captions.

No comments:

Post a Comment